IMPROVE YOUR PAINTING AND DRAWING SKILLS
Icon painting classes are a way of helping us to engage with God’s work in a visual and meaningful way. You can use this class to simply watch and learn, or paint along with it. Each session will be recorded so that it can be played back anytime later.
Each step of writing the icon will be demonstrated and a recording of each class will be provided for each student to review.
These classes are designed for absolute beginners but will be enjoyed also by those more experienced. Sometimes even advanced iconographers can benefit from going back to basics and re -learning and getting rid of old habits, as well as being introduced to new materials and techniques.
How It Works
In the first class you will watch a demonstration of how to begin an Icon, receive an overview of the class topics and schedule, and learn how to mix the egg tempera paints. Each subsequent class demonstrates the next steps for painting the icon while also offering lectures on history of icons, iconographic light and sacred geometry in icons.
For Beginners and the More Experienced.
Beginners are welcome as well as intermediate level iconographers. Please let Christine know if you are a beginner and need more guidance before the class begins.
Students of all level are welcome. There’s always more to learn and beginners and advanced students have much to offer each other in this creative, prayerful learning environment. Writing Icons is a spiritual journey as well as an artistic discipline. Each Icon that we write has lessons for each of us to deepen our faith and improve our skills.
Each class is recorded and available at the end of the day. This is perfect for those who need to miss classes due to work or other commitments.
October 25-28, 2022 Christ Pantocrator ICON IN EGG TEMPERA
Four Days of ONLINE ZOOM classes:
Morning Session 9am-10:30 Am Afternoon Session 2PM-3:30PM
THIS IS AN Important Class for complete beginners as well as for more experienced Icon writers. IF you are more experienced, you can choose your icon to paint, just contact Christine before class to make arrangements. REGISTER NOW!
These Icon painting classes are taught in sequence but you can take them in any order you prefer.
- Beginning with the foundations of icon painting in the Good Shepherd Class: This class teaches the Greek Tetrakromatikon method of color mixing. We paint the Good Shepherd Icon using the four basic colors. Drawing and Color Model are supplied . Color Mixing 101 It’s an excellent class for beginners.
- Continuing with The Archangel Raphael Class, This class builds on Color Mixing 101 by introducing value and tonal scales. There are demonstrations of how to apply this to icon painting and specifically to the Icon of Saint Raphael, Patron Saint of Healing, that we are painting in this class.
- Madonna and Child, the classic Icon of loving tenderness, and the proplasmos method of Icon Painting. There are two main approaches to painting Icons- the proplasmos method, and the membrane method. Ideally, an iconographer is familiar with both methods and can use them when needed. In this class we are demonstrating the puddle and pull, or play technique and using this to paint our Madonna and Child Icon – the model for this is the Andre Rublev Madonna .
- Face of Christ Icon: We are studying the proportions of the face and the membrane method in this class. The student will learn basic facial proportions and how to use the membrane method for the Holy Face of Christ Icon. Ideally an iconographer can choose which method to use in the icons they are painting. It’s important to practice each method as they all come in handy at times!
- Saint George Icon: This class adds more colors to the iconographer’s palette, expanding on the basic four colors taught in previous classes. We also talk more about color and light in the icons- how iconographic light is different from natural light. Very popular class!
- Christ Enthroned Icon: Sacred Geometry is the subject we cover in this class. The Christ enthroned icon beautifully demonstrates some of the very important principles of sacred geometry inherent in the icon. This class is a must for those who wish to draw their own icons!
- Saint John the Evangelist Icon: Drawing the face in Icons. Everyone needs more practice drawing facial features! This class provides the opportunity to see clearly how iconographic noses, eyes, mouths are formed differently than naturalistically portrayed ones are. Super Important!
- The Baptism of Jesus Icon: In this class we focus on drawing hands and feet correctly in this beautiful icon that is often used in the celebration of Epiphany.
- Mary Magdalene Icon: This is a beautiful Icon of Mary magdalene, egg tempera and gold leaf gilding.
- TO REGISTER VISIT: ONLINE.ICONWRITINGCLASSES.COM
Email Christine with any questions.
We look forward to seeing you in class!